Friday, October 12, 2007

Letter from Sister Cannariato

Hello family!Being the brillant missionary I am, I wrote down everyone's addresses but not their email addresses. So sorry this is getting forwarded to all of you from Dad's account. If you'd email me at this address then I can write you back and it'll be a happy day :)Also, this email is going to be a novel because you're the only ones I can write on email and there's so much to say to fill you in. Plus I don't have everyone's emails memorized/with me. But normally I'd love to write you individually so then it'll feel like I'm talking with you.My email address is stephcan@myldsmail.net. You can email me at this account address at any time but I only have 30 minutes on the computer per week, so some responses may come more slowly through the mail. But I would love to hear from all of you to find out how things are going!Things here at the MTC have been fantastic. I've been able to spend so much time immersed in the gospel and I love it! We normally have P-day on Fridays but last week we had class to make up for conference so that's why it's taken me half of my mtc stay to get on the computers and email. I've really appreciated all of the letters I've received. It's been so nice to hear about how things are going.Just fyi, you can send me letters through dearelder.com--it gets delivered at least 2x/day and it's free while I'm in the mtc. Then it's normal postage but they'll mail it for you. The only bad thing is that I can't write you until Fridays, but still, for your convenience it's there.So, the mtc. I have two teachers, Brother Mecham from Mesa, AZ and Sister Haymond, from the Cleveland area! Her dad is a bishop out there and they have a set of elders and a set of sisters that serve in their ward, so I may get to serve with her family, watch conference at her house, or possibly even see here during Christmas or something. That'd be crazy! But honestly, I couldn't have asked for better teachers. Through their examples and instruction I've really been able to gain a better understanding of my purpose as a missionary and how to go about accomplishing the work the Lord's asking me to do.I just have to put in a plug here about Preach My Gospel. I know Nicole and Jake and Grandma are studying it, but I would recommend it be a study aide to everyone. It explains the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ succintly and beautifully, making it not only easy for us to share it with those not of our faith but also enhancing our understanding of the doctrines of the kingdom as well. I loved studying it prior to this mission but I don't think I realized what a great resource it really was. I also think that because of my calling and being set apart my understanding has grown ten-fold concerning it. It's really a great tool for learning how to study more effectively too to get more out of the scriptures.Yesterday I went to a meeting with my zone where we talked about the importance of having a balanced approach to missionary work. We discussed the importance of church members, church leaders, and full-time missionaries in the acts of conversion, retention, and activation. I loved the insights I gained on the charge "every member a missionary" and how we need to help new converts by giving them 1. a friend, 2. a calling/responsibility, and 3. nourishment by the good word of God (Pres. Hinckley said these three things). I think that the missionaries have that role of baptism and starting the process of conversion but since it's a process, we need members and local leaders to continue that conversion process and support new and/or reactivated members. The work that I do in Cleveland wont' be of much worth, especially after I leave an area, if the members don't support the new members. It's the same in your areas too.Whoa, I need to get off my soapbox! Sorry. But yeah, I've loved the insights I've gained. I'm so grateful to have this mtc experience. Some people said that you're on a spiritual high all of the time, which made me think of EFY, but it's totally different. You're feasting on the spirit but you have a specific purpose and, for me, it's more of an overwhelming sense of peace and assurance that the Lord's hand is in this work as well as an expanding of my mind to comprehend more of the gospel with greater clarity. It's just so cool.Like I wrote, my companion is Sister Dickson and she's awesome. She's such a hard worker and we've been able to accomplish so much here in the mtc. I love teaching with her because of the testimony she has and the spirit she carries. We get to practice on volunteer investigators on occasion, which has been by far the most amazing experiences while here. Being in a mock home with a mock investigator but still having the Spirit witness that the words you're saying are true; it's such a great feeling.I don't think that I've gained the freshman in the 10 days I've been here, but there sure is a LOT of food. Sister Dickson referred to a scripture that someone else shared with her about the consequences of mtc food: Jeremiah 4:19. It's hilarious and I thought you'd appreciate it. For me, I usually stick to cereal and fruit in the morning, salads or wraps, and occasionally having one of their pasta dishes. I'm excited to be in a place where I won't be sitting all day and I can actually make my own food :) And though it's crazy to think it's so close, I only have about 10 or 12 days left here.We got to go to the temple this morning for the first time since I've been here. That's going to be the thing I miss the most out in Cleveland (besides you...love love love).Well, my time is almost up...but I just want you all to know I love you and appreciate your support and your prayers. The gospel of Jesus Christ is so amazing and I'm so grateful that we know of it's truthfulness. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you this week!Love,Sister Cannariato

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Thanks for posting the letter! I love you all :) Go Sister C!