Wednesday, February 20, 2008

the proud owner of a toledo lucas county public library card

(Posted by Steph's Dad 2-20-08)

GREETINGS FROM TOLEDO, OHIO!!!

As of about 15 minutes ago, I'm the proud new owner of a Toledo Lucas County public library card, hence me being able to email you right now. I got transferred to the Holland area and am serving with Sister Kirsten McFarlane. It's so amazingly neat because she was MTC companions with Sister Corbridge (my trainer) and also because of a neat experience that happened a couple months ago. We had mission conference before Christmas and I got to sit at a table with Sister McFarlane and her companion during dinner. As I was sitting there I thought about how much I would love to serve with her--and now here I am! As we were on our way to the library she told me that she had also felt that we'd get to serve together while we were sitting at the table. Man, I just love the Lord. She only has 2 transfers left and is a Kirtland sister so she may go to Kirtland for her last transfer...which means we're definitely going to make the most of our time here, whether it's six weeks or three months. I can't wait!

The drive to Toledo took about 3 hours...we drove a HUGE dodge ram van and the six elders that were being transferred out here let me have the front seat. Very kind. I tried to keep the driver from swerving too much and falling asleep. Needless to say, it was a interesting drive. I just felt bad for the greenie who we happened to leave at the transfer meeting--we ended up having to turn around to go get him. Luckily we were only about 15 minutes outside of Kirtland. It was kind of weird to be the only sister in a car full of elders...I guess I've gotten used to always having a companion :)

It was so sad to leave Stow but I know that the Lord wants me here in Holland. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for me!

Oh, and an update on Jim: we had dinner with him at a member's home and invited him to be baptized. He said yes (!!!) but when we talked about a date (we were thinking end of March) he said he was thinking more like 6 months. It's amazing to me though because he truly is one of the elect. He just gets it and recognizes the spirit and is independently keeping commitments. I think that as Sister Leavitt and her new companion (who, I might add, is Sister Dickson, my MTC companion...crazy huh?) increase contact with him (we're teaching him about once a week), he'll progress even faster.

Leaving Stow was kind of surreal. I had Gail, Sister Stebel, and Sister Hursell in tears...luckily though I pretty much stayed dry. I think it'll hit me a little later. Right now I just feel a sense of peace that I've done what the Lord asked of me during my time in Stow and am looking forward to gaining a knowledge of the vision the Lord has for Holland.

As for my address and birthday information. I told Dad I'd like a copy of Gospel Principles and I would also love more paper for my mission journal (it's loose leaf and from deseret book). Music is also great but it does need to be hymns. Sister Leavitt had a great acoustic guitar CD called "The Field is White" I believe. I have a lot of instrumental music so ones with singing would be nice I guess. Other than that, I'm not picky, nor can I think of anything I'd like. Maybe just your prayers :) And here's my address: 5814 Sims Dr. Toledo, Ohio 43615.

Well, I'll write more next week but I just have to say again how excited I am to be serving with Sister McFarlane in Holland!

I hope all is well with each of you. Thanks for your emails, letters, and prayers. I think of you often and love each of you!

Sister Cannariato

1 comment:

brittani c. said...

I love Sister Cannariato! I went with the sisters tonight to teach a woman named Sheryl. We taught about the apostasy and priesthood authority and watched The Restoration DVD. I found out her blog when we had them over for dinner a few nights ago. They are in good hands over here. :)