Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"You are a toxic staff."

Not the comment I was expecting when I headed to a faculty meeting yesterday. I was surprised as I sat and listened to my principal explain the reputation we have throughout the district as a school that is negative and complains constantly.

I racked my brain trying to figure out the things I've done to contribute to the poor attitudes at my school, and to be honest, I don't think I really fall into the problem category, a) because I didn't realize it was a problem, and b) I kind of isolate myself/allow myself to be isolated because I'm on the special ed side of things. But still, it got me thinking. How does my attitude really affect those around me? Am I toxic when it comes to my interactions with others?

That led me to think about Elder Holland's talk from this last conference. Though I may not be the core of the problem at my school, I definitely can improve my personal positiveness and infuse my conversations with more encouraging words. I love the quote Elder Holland shared from Orson F. Whitney: "The spirit of the gospel is optimistic; it trusts in God and looks on the bright side of things. The opposite or pessimistic spirit drags men down and away from God, looks on the dark side, murmurs, complains, and is slow to yield obedience." Hmm. Definitely something to work on.

No comments: