Wednesday, July 18, 2007

my new mantra

I was talking with some good friends the other night about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (that is to say, dating). This topic seems to come up all too often in my apartment complex, much of it based on speculation and theory rather than action (yes, Greg, I mean this in all terms of the word). In talking with them, I came to a conclusion about dating that I’ve decided is my new mantra:

IF HE’S INTERESTED, HE’LL ASK YOU OUT

By saying this, I’m not passing judgment or simplifying the thoughts and feelings of men but attempting to counter the overanalytical tendencies of my sex. I realize that there are caveats to this, but generally speaking, it hits the nail on the head. This is something many women live by, but occasionally our girlish predisposition to grow hopeful gets the best of us, and we end up setting ourselves up for disappointment. Therefore, I am going to live by this statement when it comes to dating. If he’s really interested, I’ll be worth asking out.

Once the asking comes, though, women also need to remember it’s just a date, not a proposal (Think flashbacks to How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days when she brings over the photo album of the photoshopped pictures from their yet-to-occur wedding and trips with their two yet-to-be-born children). Again, it’s just a date, not a proposal.

You’d think love would be pretty simple: finding someone you love who loves you back. And in the end, it usually is. But how can something be so exasperating and exhilarating at the same time?

3 comments:

xaque said...

So does that mean I shouldnt show you the album I made of us traveling to exotic locations and having babies? I am a boy and I love you.

becca said...

i'm not a boy and i love you.

Andy77 said...

I think finding someone you love that loves you back is difficult, well for me anyways. Maybe it's just me though...