Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Meniscus Malfunction, Soon to be Fixed

(posted by Steph's Dad 12-17-08)

Hi family,

I know I’m emailing a little later in the day than usual but I just wanted to send you my first official email from Wadsworth!
I really like it here and the area is doing well. The elders that were here before were so good and they had really built up the area. We actually went to the ward Christmas party on Saturday evening and one of the sisters in the ward (she’s actually the mayor of Wadsworth) paid them the best compliment I’ve ever heard. She said that they reminded her of Ammon—they were diligent in serving and then went about doing their missionary labors with quiet dignity. I thought it was such a nice thing to say and I hope that we can live up to the high standard that Elder Hicks and Elder Paulson set.
This past week we spent most of our time trying to contact investigators, less actives, and familiarize ourselves with the ward. There are some really good things happening. Wednesday evening we went to teach a young woman named Emily. She had ordered a Book of Mormon because she’d heard about it from a friend (someone who’s also not a member). The elders had taught her a couple times but I think sisters will be good for her because she’s only 16. She’s been reading from the Book of Mormon and any time we talk about it her face just lights up. She really wants to be involved and she came to church this past Sunday. The young women of the Wadsworth ward were so great and just welcomed her right in. The best fellowshipper was actually a foreign exchange student from Germany who’s not a member either...I love it!
This week we’ve got some great appointments lined up and I’m excited for it. We’re also going to have mission conference on Thursday up in Kirtland and I’m looking forward to having another great experience like last year. I’ll let you know how it goes.
So I got the blog post via email about my knee. Dad pretty much summed it up but I have a few more details for you. I’ll be having the outpatient arthroscopy (sp?) in Medina on December 29 at 1:30. President and Sister Peterson will come down and pick me up after the surgery and take me to Kirtland where I’ll spend about a week to recover. A sister from Kirtland who is in a triple-up will come down to be with Sister Van Meter. Then we’ll switch back after I’m back to at least driving capacity.
It’s kind of crazy just thinking about spending time in Kirtland. Weird, but cool at the same time. Most likely I’ll spend time at the sites with the senior couples but I still don’t know all the details as of yet. I’ll keep you updated.
This has been a really interesting experience because it’s helped me to have another experience with personal revelation. Initially I was completely against getting it taken care of because I don’t feel it’s that bad and I figured I only had three months left so I wouldn’t worry about it. Even when I was talking to the doctor about it I told him I’d probably just wait. Then I talked with Sister Peterson who asked me what I wanted to do. I tried to have the ready answer of "just wait" but she asked just the right questions to get me to be open to the Sprit. The next morning was transfers and I was trying to get all my things packed and organized when I just got the urge to go into our study room and pray for a bit. I poured out my heart to Heavenly Father asking Him what I should do (since before I’d prayed but was looking for my answer instead of the Lord’s answer). As I prayed, I counseled with Him about my options and went from praying a prayer of "this is what I want—tell me it’s okay" to "help me to align my will with Thine." It became clear as I prayed that God wanted me to get this taken care of now. After I made the decision, I was filled with peace and knew everything would be okay. Truly, sweet is the peace the gospel brings!
Now that this is kind of figured out (well, as much as it can be at this point) I love being able to focus on Wadsworth, the people here, and making the most of my two weeks before surgery. I hope that all of your Christmas preparations are going well and that you’re finding time to remember the Savior during the holidays. Thanks for all you do and know I’m thinking about each of you!
Love love love
Sister Cannariato
Since some of you have been asking for my address, I’ll include it here:
Sister Stephanie Cannariato
295 Third St.
Wadsworth, OH 44281

No comments: