Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

(posted by Steph's Dad 12-24-08)

Happy Christmas!

I just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Things here in Wadsworth are going well and I’m trying to make the most of my time before I have to go up to Kirtland in a week.

This past week we were able to teach a really great part member family. The husband has just started coming back to church and is super excited about the gospel and preparing to receive the Melchizedek priesthood. We were able to teach him and his wife with their home teachers (one of whom is the ward mission leader) about the plan of salvation. The spirit was really strong as we taught them and Erin even cried. They are expecting their first child and I think it really hit home with them. Sister Van Meter and the sister from Kirtland will go see them next Monday and I can’t wait to hear about it!

Emily (the 16 year old) came out to church again this past week and it was so great to have her there. She just is eating it up and I am so grateful to be a part of seeing her come to an understanding of who she is and how much God loves her.

Lex asked me about the Joy to the World referral thing, and yes, we’re doing it again this year. We’ve had about 10 people/families given to us and we’ve been able to stop by and deliver 3 of them so far (I know, we’ve got to get on the ball if we’re going to get them done before Christmas!). As we were driving home last to write our weekly letters to President, I felt like we needed to stop by one of the referrals. At that point it was four degrees and there were 35mph winds and it was not going out weather, but I still felt like we needed to stop by. So we did. The family had just recently lost their father/husband and they were in need of a message of hope about the Savior. I felt really strongly like we needed to offer a Book of Mormon to her in addition to the DVD that the boy from our ward had given them. She was really excited to have it and committed herself to read from it that night. It’s amazing to see what peace and hope the gospel brings!

We had mission conference up in Kirtland this past week…it was FANTASTICO! I loved every minute of it. They had it at the stake center instead of the temple this year (which was fine—it was still a very powerful and spiritual experience) and I was able to play the piano again. We sang songs and had some great workshops about the Book of Mormon and the Atonement. Our mission has been given a challenge to read the Book of Mormon in two months starting January 1st. I am SO excited to do it because it means I’ll get to read the whole Book of Mormon another time on my mission. I can’t think of a better thing to do. :0)

I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that it will bring us closer to God. By reading it, pondering the message it contains, and sincerely asking God if it is true will bring a greater understanding of Jesus Christ to our lives and prepare us to return home to our Father in Heaven. What a blessing to know of the restored gospel and to have tangible evidence of the prophetic call of Joseph Smith. It’s been amazing as a missionary to seek that confirmation and to deepen my testimony of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon and the Restoration of the gospel through Joseph Smith. The spirit will always testify of truth and I know that as we ask with real intent our prayers are answered.

One last thing. While driving in a more remote part of our area, we definitely were held up for a moment or two by a HORSE and BUGGY. Yes, that’s right: a horse and buggy. We cover a small portion of Amish country in our area and it was fun to see. I love Ohio!Thanks for all you do and I hope your Christmas days are merry and bright and that all your Christmases are white this year! TALK TO YOU THURSDAY!

Love love love,Sister Cannariato

No comments: